Thursday, May 20, 2010

Mother's Day

A little backyard photo shoot before Mother's Day.

Thinking of 5 mothers that week: my maternal grandmother, who gave me my drive to organize and taught me how to sew quilts. She made a beautiful Precious Moments Noah's Ark quilt with rainbow borders and perfect corners.


My mother-in-law, who is the antithesis of nasty stereotypes for spouse's mothers. She also sewed a darling beach baby quilt for Jessica.



My own mother, whose self-sacrifice I was priveledged to watch as I grew up. She crocheted lace edges on a blanket and several brightly colored burp cloths.

And this year, I finally got to think of myself! On previous 9 Mother's Days, my feelings went from hopeful to impatient to painful to ignoring them (except to call my mothers.) When Dave said a few weeks earlier, "Hey, this is going to be your first real Mother's Day" I jumped up and down. I was so happy to be a mom I forgot to wish others a Happy Mother's Day! (I haven't sewn her anything! But I feed and play with her every day, so I'm counting that.)



And of course I thought of the wonderful mother of this little girl, who courageous went through a lot of emotions and puking and hastle to bring this wonderful creature into the world. Wherever she is and whatever she is doing, I love that mother.

And to all the other women in Jessica's life (most of whom have sewed something or clothed Jessica) I love you too! What a rich female heritage this little girl has to grow into.

3 comments:

  1. She is so beautiful! I'm so excited to meet her next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures of Jessica are so beautiful and bright and vibrant. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your first Mother's Day. It is a great day--to feel appreciated and to realize you have the best job in all the world.

    ReplyDelete